Source: Beauty Press
For Spring/Summer 2014, Rachel Zoe takes the modern jetset girl on a safari; a traveling muse wearing her femininity with effortless confidence. This collection offers a new take on exotic glamour, incorporating ethereal elements, polished silhouettes, innovative materials, and blending of the classic with the contemporary.
The Hair Look
For The Rachel Zoe Collection for Spring/Summer 2014, runway stylist Antonio Corral Calero, Moroccanoil Artistic Director, created soft textured, ethereal hair looks that were inspired by windswept safari days and subtle tribal details.
Corral Calero created a deconstructed modern take on the braid, with a contrasting and overlapping tangled textural effect that looked as if hair was styled on-the-go and blown free, loose and waved by the elements. The look was achieved by taking random parts of pre- textured strands, crisscrossing them (like macramé) and tucking them into the back and inside of a low braid.
According to Corral Calero, “the hair needs to be in great condition to hold this kind of free- flowing look. Though there is some shine, the strands look semi-matte (made possible by new Moroccanoil Root Boost and new Moroccanoil Molding Cream — both of which launched this season at Fashion Week). Hair can still move in any direction and look and feel good thanks to the dry application of Moroccanoil Treatment.”
How The Look Was Created
• “I started with a foundation of Moroccanoil Treatment on dry hair to condition, strengthen and smooth, then sprayed new Moroccanoil Root Boost (at the roots starting at the nape, and working up). Also, applying Moroccanoil Treatment on dry hair gave me more traction and grip for the other products that followed.”
• “New Moroccanoil Molding Cream was next. Warming a bit between my fingers, I worked it in from roots to ends. This was a key product for the look, giving it the right semi-matte texture with enough shine. It was important for the hair to look healthy, not too dry.”
• “I then blow dried the hair from underneath and lifted hair at the roots using my fingers, letting it dance and tangle under the air flow. It was important not to pull or try to control the hair.”
• “When almost dry, and with model’s head bent over, I finger-massaged the hair at the root and lifted it again to intensify the tangled texture.”
• “I then sectioned the hair from ear to ear and pinned it up while I created a braid with remaining strands at the nape of the neck.”
• “I released the top hair and then tucked different parts of the various strands into the braid like macramé and blended them in waves, creating a loose, inverse-pyramid shape that was wider on top.”
• “Then I softly rotated my palm over the hair to make it lie naturally – creating more flyaways at the top.”
• “To add a tribal vibe, I made several little braids placed randomly at the sides.”
• “Finally, I took little baby hairs around the hairline and pulled them out – so they would
also move as models walked the runway.”
Moroccanoil® Treatment: This remarkable, instantly-absorbed argan-oil infused formula is found in the kits of virtually every major celebrity, runway, and editorial stylist. Exclusively designed to give hair a natural-looking silky, lustrous shine and a frizz- and static-free finish, it strengthens, conditions and revitalizes hair while speeding drying time. (MSRP: $43.00 / 100ml)
New Moroccanoil® Root Boost is a new styling innovation that gives natural-looking height and lift by fortifying and thickening hair at the root, without the need for backcombing or adding any stress to the hair. This weightless, volumizing spray works beautifully for every hair type and texture, including straight, fine, or curly. It instantly thickens strands at the roots to give a long-lasting, full-bodied lift to every style, for volume that never falls flat. (MSRP $29.00 / 250ml)
New Moroccanoil® Molding Cream is a luxuriously-rich texturizing cream enriched with nourishing argan and olive oils that provides flexible hold, effortless definition, contour and volume to short cuts as well as long layers and updos. Moroccanoil Molding Cream’s formula dries quickly, providing a matte finish with medium, flexible hold without stiffness or flaking. (MSRP: $28.00 / 100ml)